THE DEFINITION THAT OMNICHANNEL MEANS COMMUNICATING ACROSS ALL CHANNELS, RATHER THAN JUST MANY IS INACCURATE AND MISSES THE FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE BEHIND OMNICHANNEL.
Omnichannel is all about being customer centric. It looks at the various touchpoints an audience are using and aims to interconnect them in order to create a seamless and true Omnichannel experience.
Omnichannel: Are you ready to communicate with the consumer of tommorow?
How does omnichannel work?
A seamless and true omnichannel experience provides the customers with the same experience and terms across distribution channels or touchpoint and here by facilitates the opportunity to purchase a service or a product whether it is on a mobile device, a social channel, website or even in-store.
Omnichannel can also benefit marketing by using data across all distribution channels and touchpoints, building a customer profile that enable marketers to use contextual marketing, if you for example become aware of a customer that has been viewing a specific product, when they interact with you on a different distribution channel, they should continue their journey, instead of starting all over from the beginning.
Retail is a great example on how working with Omnichannel experiences can create value. If a customer views a product on social media on their mobile phone and later the same day they continue their journey on their tablet to visit the brands website – a good omnichannel experience will take them directly the product they previously viewed. When they later go to in-store they should be guided, to the product they viewed online through in-store signage and the sales rep, as they already know what the customer are looking for.
The tactics behind omnichannel marketing
In order for companies to stay relevant they should focus on the omnichannel tactics that can be delivered today.
This is including:
- To understand the digital landscape and track changes in customer behavior and use the information to refine user journeys across distribution channels, together with defining futurecommunication strategy
- Give the best omnichannel experience through design, content, functionality and terms and condition
- Enable customers to continue their journeys across individual distribution channels.
- Start interconnecting distribution channels such as embedding social media data into CRM systems and when facilitating outbound calls
- Explore and keep track of which technological platform will be the most appropriate to support an omnichannel approach
Until now, the main thing retailers have done in response to addressing the demand for a true omnichannel experience is to create online stores so customers will come directly to them rather than to Amazon or other local rivals.
Many retailers are having the same problem that media agencies have had, that even if they get online traffic, they struggle to make enough money online to compensate for what they are losing offline.