Comwell is one of the best-known hotel and conference centre chains in Scandinavia with 16 hotels in Denmark and two in Sweden.
In fact, it boasts Denmark’s largest conference centre as part of its portfolio.
Yet despite being a chain, Comwell prides itself on each hotel and centre having a distinctive ambience, and caters to those travelling for both business and leisure with facilities such as conference rooms, spa and wellness centres and good locations.
However, while Comwell is a market leader with more than 40 years’ experience, competition in the hotel and conference market is tough and it is therefore important for Comwell to constantly evaluate and optimise its offerings.
Addressing the issues
Comwell wanted to ensure that its brand and products respond optimally to customer needs in all its focus areas; business / conferences / meetings (B2B) and the private market (B2C) as part of its future strategy.
In order to achieve a broader and deeper knowledge of the varying needs of both business and residential customers, Comwell partnered with Epinion to gain deeper insight into the following areas:
- Comwell’s market position in relation to its competitors
- Knowledge of where customers are won and lost at each step of the consumer pathway; consideration / search to purchase / decision
- How customers make decisions and how Comwell can adapt and influence customers in their decision-making processes
In order to gain a thorough understanding of how all consumer segments interact with the Comwell hotel chain, Epinion developed an approach that would capture both the B2B and B2C market through qualitative and quantitative methodology.
The B2B part of the survey consisted of CATI and quali interviews:
- 800 telephone interviews with decision makers, primarily responsible for a given company’s purchase of hotel and conference facilities
- 10 qualitative in-depth interviews conducted with both Comwell clients and non-clients in the private and public sector
The B2C part of the survey consisted of web interviews:
- 3,255 interviews with private customers, who had stayed at a Comwell hotel in Denmark in a non-work related capacity during the last year.
- Data collected through online interviews on our panel
The study gave Comwell a deep understanding of the market and how it was positioned for both the B2B and B2C market. Epinion’s consultants gave recommendations based on insights they drew from the study.
This helped Comwell to build their future strategy.